Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Standing by the pool table, cue in hand Christmas Eve, I had a enlightening moment. The original Four siblings were getting ready to play a game my sister brought to our attention that it was just the brothers and sisters playing, and we all looked at each other, startled. It was a odd moment in my mind. I  looked at my brothers and felt that the bond I had with them was not necessarily because of the friendship that I shared with them, nor did I think about things that we did together in the past. The funny thing is,the relationship I share with my brothers is a grown up friendship. It is because of who they are now. The relationship is not so much about them,but about their wives. When I looked at their faces and then at my sister and I, something felt like it was missing. And it hit me that, when it was just the four of us, we were different people. The capacity to love my siblings children had not yet materialized. Learning to know my older sister in law over 13+ years has created a whole new relationship, apart from my oldest brother. Watching my baby brother fall in love with a girl and become the leader of a home has shown sides of his personality that I did not even know existed. I think that it felt odd not because we no longer share a bond, but because the bond is so much bigger than the four of us. So this is to you in laws, thank you for making our family complete. Thank you for the uniqueness you add to the family. Thank you mostly for making me learn to be a better person.

In related news,(subject 3 moment) our puppies were moved outside last week. They love it and the porch smells so much better. They have a big play area and a cozy sleeping house. I think we have found a home for one too! Next week is shot time (inoculations, just to clear that up).  They can go to homes any time after that. I actually am quite sad about that idea. I had no idea I would be so attached. Raising puppies has been a very fun experience.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I am tearing up! Thanks for the sweet post. Christmas Eve was a lot of fun again. It's been a long time & a lot of changes since that first "Todd Family" gift - the shuffleboard scoreboard. Love you!

    ReplyDelete