Saturday, June 18, 2011

Strawberries and more...

I marched defiantly into Kroger this week and bought 12 boxes of gorgeous ripe strawberries. I know that for some this is no big deal, even accepted. I however felt until last Tuesday that unless the strawberries for homemade jam came from the field, they were not okay. Then  I realized that I would be all alone in a big field with four royal helpers. And one that loves to sit on plants. And one that has a hard time remembering what "Don't eat that" means. And one of me. I told the boys we are going to Kroger, better luck next year.



Would you look at that, you would never suspect that they were contraband strawberries.




I am busy practicing still life. It is so hard to make an inanimate object appear alive and with feelings. I really would like to learn how to do that. I suspect that if I would have picked these myself, they would be lively.

Now this is something I can't wait to share. My neighbor came over this week and we mixed up this little number, then sat and munched on it. She took some home to her husband and then came back for the recipe

Other than a tiny embarrassing scene in Kroger, (does any one else know what jicama is  or how to say it?)
this is a winner for the summertime.

1 mango
1/3 of a small jicama
1/3 red pepper (I used green )
1/3 red onion
6 strawberries ( I added this)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder ( don't be afraid to add this, it really taste good.)

Chop fruit and veggies really small or with a food processor, I used my Tupperware quick chef, no I don't sell Tupperware. Add seasonings and serve with tortilla chips, lime would be yummy.






2 comments:

  1. yummy with a crisp salad. any advice on what to do with too-brown bananas and moldy tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete